Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mother Nature Seems a Bit Pissed and Other News

So, not only was Queensland hit by incredible flooding just a few weeks ago, it has now been hit by a friggin cyclone. :-/ Cyclone Yasi is hitting wells north of the floods (A is still rather soggy Brisbane, and B is Tully, the town hit hardest by the storm last night). But check this out for a little perspective on our snow storm.... Oh man, I'm excited to get into Perth though, because it's currently 68*F with a high of 95*F today! :D I'll like that a bit better than the current NEGATIVE TEN* F here. T_T Brrrrrrrrrr.

It is now exactly one week until I get on the plane. According to my well-worn list, I still need to get my hair cut, register my electronics with the Department of Commerce (so I don't get taxed trying to bring them between countries), find the right laptop case, buy some Australian cash to have on hand, and finish filling out my ISIC. I also need to keep pestering the UNM and UWA advisers about course requirements and appropriate classes, as well as decide the best way to access my money while I'm there (atm and transaction fees are annoying...).

Then there's just the "easy" little task of doing laundry and packing my clothes and jewelry. I think I have most of the other objects already in my suitcase (first aid kit, tool kit, gifts, etc), but trying to choose which of my favorite shirts to take is not going to make me a happy camper. The truly difficult thing is my airline baggage restrictions: I can take ONE checked piece (weighs less than 50 lbs and dimensions measure less than 62") and ONE carry-on piece (weighs less than 15 lbs and dimensions measure less than 46.5"), and ONE personal item (which will need to be my laptop in a "slim" case, hence the need to buy the right kind of case).

I plan to post the complete list of what I am taking with me once I have it all packed, as I found other people's lists extremely helpful (at the very least they helped me feel like I kinda knew what I was doing).

Oh man, because I totally don't know what I'm doing. >_<;

No comments:

Post a Comment